Elder Scott Weber's mission to Madagascar. Check back for weekly emails and pictures of Madagascar!

Alma 26:12 - Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Pioneer's Tale: MTC West

Note from Mom: Sorry this post is late. I was out of town and didn't get a chance to post it before now.



Hello to the outside world!

You can probably guess from the title that I am a pioneer. We were told so many times on Tuesday with the move that we are pioneers leading the way for so many more to follow. Couple items of business:

My Address has now changed for the MTC. Please send all correspondence to:

Elder Scott Weber
Jun 24 MAD-ANT
2023 N. 900 E. Unit 812
Provo, UT 84602

They have asked to make sure you use the word Unit and also to the the date with JUN instead of 06.

It is so funny here in the computer lab. We all walk in and we are normally a very talkative group, but once we sign into our emails we are all business because we need to finish all of our emails before the 1 hour mark hits. I currently have 39 left to finish this email and to send pictures.

So you all want to know about the new MTC...

I really enjoy it here. It is very different, but it is good. MTC West consists of the north half of Wyview and all of Raintree. All of Wyview is going to be housing, and that is where I am currently living. I am in a 4 person apartment and it is really nice living quarters. It is actually a lot nicer than the regular MTC. Raintree has a lot of stuff. They are using half of the buildings for classrooms and the other half for residence. They are doing a lot of work on the residence buildings it looks like to make them more habitable. All of us right now are staying in Wyview. The classrooms are interesting. Imagine a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 bath. The living room is one classroom and two of the bedrooms are classrooms. All of those have individual desks and a computer and stuff. The third bedroom is a practice investigator room with a couple of couches to practice teaching. So the Malagasy's are two districts and we are using two of the classrooms, the other district is the Living room, and we are bedroom B. The other district we share with are the Greeks and they move out on Monday. So I did the math and there are about 25 of us in the Apartment during class hours. It is a little cramped, but I like what the church has done with it. The church has been putting a ton of money and effort in over here. They have put nice paintings in each of the rooms to bring a nice atmosphere, and they have really tried their best to make it function just as well as the other MTC. I think they are going to keep the districts over here at about 6 people, otherwise the rooms are going to get really cramped. We are currently eating our meals in the Clubhouse right next to the pool that they drained.... The food is ok, it is always just one option for each meal, but that will change eventually, like in after I leave the MTC. They are putting up a semi-permanent structure for a cafeteria, but it won't be done until like July. So breakfast and lunch everyday is something cold and dinner is our only hot meal. Breakfast is always, pastries, bagels, and cereal. Lunch is always either a boxed salad, or a premade deli sandwich, and that switches on the day. First day was cobb salad, yesterday was sandwiches. Dinner is a catered hot meal which is nice. I really like being here. We are being treated very fairly and everyone is interested in how we are doing. It is really nice right now because we have only 150 people here (110 pioneers and 40 newbies that came in on Wednesday, they don't count as pioneers) and so the campus is really relaxed and spacious. It is a huge campus anyways, and we get a really cool opportunity here. WE CAN GO SHOPPING AND EAT AT SOME REAL RESTAURANTS! The strip mall named Brighams landing right on the diagonal we are allowed to visit and shop and eat on P-day in full missionary attire. I think we might be headed down to Burger Supreme later today for some real food which will be nice. Or maybe I'll get a Jamba, but anyways it will be very nice.

A little more about being a pioneer. On Tuesday when we got here, the 110 of us, we had a orientation meeting with the entire MTC presidency, which is a pretty big feat to get them all together for something. We had a great orientation talking about how historic this was to be opening the West campus of the MTC. A lot of what we do, and our suggestions are going to make a huge influence on this campus for as long as they use it (upwards of 3 years). We had people taking pictures of us as we arrived, so Google about the new section of the MTC and see if you can find an article with pictures. We also got a huge group photo taken by professionals for the opening of MTC West. I attached the picture. For devotional Tuesday night we sat in the Wyview chapel and watched the Devo (Devotional) broadcasted live. They also included us in the Devo a lot, and they had a camera on us that they put up on the screens sometimes as they talked about us. It is really kinda cool to be setting the way for the thousands of missionaries that will be using MTC West over the summer and next few years.

So on June 23 there is going to be a huge worldwide broadcast on missionary work from the Marriott Center. And you should be able to watch it online or on BYUtv and hopefully be able to spot me! It is going to be exciting.

I did get to see Elder Vaterlaus once though which was really exciting! :) I have seen so many other good people I know here too which won't happen so much in Madagascar.

This is His time, and I am on His mission. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to serve the Lord and to be His tool. As we sing here in the MTC, "We are as the armies of Helaman. We have been taught in our youth. And we ARE the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth."

If you have any specific questions you want me to address about MTC West or anything else, just email me and I will get back to you! PS I have 15 minutes left to send pictures and send a few more emails. This hour is rather stressful on P-day. hahaha :)

Oh also I forgot I have a calling. I am the online trainer with my companion Elder Roush, meaning when new missionaries come in we teach them how to use all the online stuff. It is going to be soooo hard...... NOT.

Have a wonderful week and remember what the Lord does for us,
Elder Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment