Elder Scott Weber's mission to Madagascar. Check back for weekly emails and pictures of Madagascar!

Alma 26:12 - Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Another Week, another email



HELLO EVERYBODY!!

This has been a good week! We worked hard and saw a lot of success. We ended up teaching 37 lessons, had 23 new investigators, 23 investigators at church, and more. 

We have been doing a lot of work with our branch in order to help them run more efficiently and also to help them understand their roles as leaders in Christ's church. So we have been helping each auxiliary have a more effective Presidency meeting every week.

I dont think that I have quite expressed my love for this country and the people here. Therefore the goal today is to try and express that love to you all today.

Malagasy people are just the absolutely most amazing people in the world. I love them so so much. They are happy people and they do not understand how much poverty they live in. Most people eat off of what they make, or find, that day. No work, no food. Most families live in small houses that they rent. Anywhere between 5thousand a month to about 40 thousands a month. That is between 2.5 dollars a month to about 20 dollars a month. The average is about 20,000 ariary a month. It is expensive for them to live nice. Those houses that they rent are one room houses for the average price, maybe 2 rooms for the more expensive ones. They are so humble, but are so happy in their lives. I really wish I could just help everyone out and help them with their problems. President Adams sometimes makes me laugh, because sometimes there will be a problem with money here, someone needs some amount of money or else something bad will happen. We as missionaries look at it and say, this family needs 30,000 ariary, and think that it is impossible for them to ever get that. And President's response is generally something like this, I take the liberty to paraphrase slightly. "Really, all this fuss over 15 dollars? Really?" It makes me laugh, but it is true, the money here has so little weight compared to the US. 

I really wish that I could just help solve Madagascar's economy problems. The problem is.... the government isnt helping at all, they are actually probably hurting the problem. And the other problem is the rich come here, and use their money to stay rich, but the poor have absolutely no way to ever grow. There is no opportunity. I have come to learn and understand about the vast amounts of opportunity that exists in the United States. But here that opportunity does not exist.

Anyways long story short, I love malagasy's and I would give the world to help them. They are an example of the attributes the world should embrace.

Anyways work always moves on and I will keep you updated on everything that happens. 

Love you all always!!
Elder Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment